Monday, June 7, 2010

Paul Gilbert

I'm taking Paul Gilbert's advice as much as I can. He said in these videos to 1. stand up and play, 2. learn songs that stretch you AND are not what you normally play, 3. play with other people.

The third is difficult to do on a regular basis where I live, but the first two, I'm all over those!

The problem I know I have the most of is timing. Staying in time, listening to the drums, locking into the groove. It's rough. FRUSTRATING. Here's the deal, I'll play the intro right on, first verse, no problem, chorus, on. Second verse--off. Then the bridge, chorus, usually no problem, but if there is a third verse, I'll be off worse than the second! And the problem is consistent with several songs!

Anyhow, part of this blog will be where I post a video of a song I learned (with music and in time). I'll give myself one week to get the song. I'm mostly only focusing on the rhythms as that is what I struggle with most! It's been almost two weeks, so I've completed one song.

This isn't what I normally play or listen to, but provided a challenge because the timing absolutely has to be solid. I stray a few times in the song, but I got it done in the one week time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment