Thursday, June 24, 2010

What do you know?

One of the surprising, though it shouldn't be, results of learning songs WITH the music, is the following realization: You don't really know the song unless you can play it with the music! You can memorize the notes and even play it in time and make it sound right in your head. However, you don't really know the song until you can play it with the music.

Another thing I've done is purposely skipped playing solos/leads for the past few weeks. Instead I've focused only on the rhythms. This week was the first time I focused on playing leads or solos. I was surprised by how I hear them differently than I did before. I hear how they maintain the rhythm of the song. That's kind of cool.

Anyhow, here's another song that I don't typically listen to, and would probably change the radio station if it came on. It's AC/DC's Back in Black. It was surprisingly fun to play. I never really learned the solo as I wanted to listen and try and play along (not note for note, just fit).

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see an improvisation on this one, myself I am a slave of the tabs. Here is my try on this solo.

    http://thefretrunner.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/gave-it-a-go-on-back-in-black/

    ReplyDelete